February 9, 2009
Tonight at 5:30pm
, the Senate will vote on the motion to invoke cloture on the Collins-Nelson substitute
to the Economic Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009
Over the weekend, the media started reporting that a "deal" had been reached in the Senate with regard to the on-going debate over the Economic Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (H.R. 1). However, this supposed "compromise" legislation, sponsored by moderate Republican Susan Collins (R-ME) and moderate Democrat Ben Nelson (D-NE), is still no winner with American taxpayers.
It is misleading for this amendment to be labeled as a bipartisan alternative to the Reid-Pelosi-Obama "stimulus." Because all the amendments that were adopted during debate of the original version of H.R. 1 will be retained if the substitute passes, the Collins-Nelson alternative will end up being even more expensive!
Here are a few of the wasteful and non-stimulative spending provisions contained in the Collins-Nelson Substitute:
• $1.2 billion for summer jobs for youth.
• $10 million to fight Mexican gunrunners.
• $300 million for hybrid and electric cars for federal employees.
• $5.5 billion for making federal buildings "green."
• $275 million for flood prevention.
• $200 million for public computer centers at community colleges and libraries.
• $650 million for the DTV transition coupon program.
• $300 million for constructing FBI office buildings.
• $198 million to design and furnish the DHS headquarters.
• $75 million for the Smithsonian Institution.
• $160 million for "volunteers" at the Corporation for National and Community Services.
• $850 million for Amtrak.
• $100 million for lead paint hazard reduction.
If this cloture motion passes tonight, the Collins-Nelson substitute will become the base "stimulus" bill. This alternative is still bad! Not only does it increase the overall price tag, but it also lacks language that would reauthorize the E-Verify program and require that all recipients of "stimulus" funds use this web-based program to ensure that the jobs created as a result are not going to illegal aliens.
Keep calling, faxing, and emailing your Senators and tell them to vote NO on the Collins-Nelson substitute tonight at 5:30pm EST!