This week in the Senate: A vote on the motion to invoke cloture on the Collins/Nelson (NE) substitute is scheduled for tonight, Monday, February 9th at 5:30pm (EST). The media has been reporting this substitute amendment as a bi-partisan "deal," but it is not. The Collins/Nelson alternative actually increases the price tag of H.R. 1. It also lacks language that would reauthorize the E-Verify program and require that all recipients of "stimulus" funds use this web-based program to ensure that the jobs created as a result are not going to illegal aliens. Please note that no further amendments are in order to the bill at this time. Eagle Forum urges you to continue telling your Senators to vote NO on the Collins/Nelson "alternative" today!
February 5, 2009
Today, President Obama called on the Senate to hurry up and pass his massive wealth redistribution, capitalism-killing legislation-the Economic Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009
)-otherwise known as the "Obama-Reid-Pelosi stimulus bill".
Despite the fact that the Democrat-led House passed H.R. 1with no Republican support at all
last week, the Obama Administration continues to publicly insist that this staunchly partisan, heavily earmarked bill should be passed as quickly as possible and not stall on the "details." However, the longer the Senate continues to debate, the more aware the public is becoming about the details of this massive spending boondoggle. Although the liberal-controlled Senate promised to allow amendments to the stimulus, only 14 out of 300 filed amendments have been offered on the Senate floor thus far.
The following are just a few of the many problematic "details" contained in the Senate "stimulus:"
• It's a fraud to call this bill "economic stimulus" when jobs can be given to illegal aliens and materials that are not made in America will be bought for the various construction and infrastructure projects.
• Does not reauthorize the E-Verify program to ensure that only American citizens, not illegal aliens, will get the new jobs created by this bill. Although the House-passed version contained this language, Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL) has filed an amendment to simply extend the E-Verify program for the next 4 years, but he has not yet been allowed to offer it on the Senate floor.
• Funds over $100 billion in new government construction projects with the goal of providing additional jobs to unemployed Americans.
However, under current verification procedures, 1 out of every 7 persons hired to work in construction is an illegal alien. A recent estimate
predicts that the Senate bill will provide construction jobs to roughly 300,000 illegal aliens.
• Mandates that all board members of the "Accountability and Transparency Board" be appointed by President Obama; none will be appointed by Congress.
• Almost one-third of the so-called "tax-relief" is spending in disguise.
An amendment offered by Sen. Jim DeMint (R-SC) would have eliminated all spending and replaced it with a series of tax cuts, but that motion failed by a vote of 36-61
• The $1000 tax credits for working couples will be given to millions who don't pay any income taxes, so these are not "tax cuts" at all; they are welfare handouts and Obama wealth redistribution.
Despite the fact that a weak "Buy American" requirement was retained, this bill is rapidly losing public support. Rasmussen's most recent poll this week reveals that public support for the "stimulus" has now dropped to 37%, with half of those surveyed admitting that whatever Congress ends up passing will probably do more harm than good.
Do not be swayed by reports that say this bill will easily pass the Senate this week. Also bear in mind that our fellow fiscal conservatives are greatly outnumbered, so it is important to keep up the pressure on your Senators!
Please call, write, email, fax, and simply reach out to your Senators in any way you can. If you can't get through to the Capitol Hill offices, call their various state office locations!
Capitol Switchboard: (202) 224-3121